Collecting rent on a rental home is like running a business that has some rules landlords need to understand & comply with. MBIE outlines some of these.
• Landlords should be aware of smoke alarms & insulation rules which need to be complied with to avoid a penalty of up to $4,000.
• If your tenant has a Community Services Card, you may get a gov’t insulation grant or financial aid from the local council.
• If landlords & tenants want to do the right thing, they may go to the Tenancy Compliance & Investigations Team & the Tenancy Tribunal & District Court.
• They can also seek help from Tenancy Services, a part of MBIE that offers resources & services so landlords & tenants would understand their rights & responsibilities.
– Stay tuned to the latest NZ property news summaries, sent to your inbox weekly – sign up here.