A database run by Tenancy Information NZ that stores info about tenants has been labelled ‘discriminatory’.
• Landlords logged on to the database, also dubbed as “bad tenant database”, can view ratings & photos of renters, including their rental history.
• A renters’ advocate says it is discriminatory, but renters have little option in a tight rental market than to agree to the checks.
• However, creators of the database point out that it is meant to help landlords find good tenants & weed out the bad ones.
• While there were some bad tenants to be avoided, the database felt “like it focuses on the negative side of things.”
- Stay tuned to the latest property news summaries, sent to your inbox weekly – sign up here.